Saturday, June 22, 2013

Google rushing to your rescue

The title mentions Google, but Facebook does the same and it's likely that other big companies also follow similar behaviors.

You know how Google works? Their programs read everything we write, analyze words and how words relate to each other to create a context. They probably also trigger alarms on the usage of special words that disturb the NSA overlords' quality of sleep. So it happens that I wrote an article about death and about what happens after it.

And in the ensuing 30 minutes, my blog received more visits than I usually get in a single day. Here's the hourly graph of my visits. I'm sure you can guess when my last article was published.



And among the sources of traffic, I found one source that belongs to Google. "Hey guys at Google! How are you doing? Don't worry! This is no suicide note. Vanilla ice-cream is too good to ever quit this world prematurely. And I haven't watched season 3 of Game of Thrones yet."

So, obviously the people at Google don't want you to take dramatic decisions. Or maybe they'd rather you wrote instructions on paper to avoid giving them paperwork. In any case, when you publish an article, it seems that your article gets analyzed right away, without waiting for the GoogleSearch's bot to index your web page. I just checked and definitely, the article I'm talking about is not yet indexed and does not appear in Google searches despite very specific search terms.

What happens if/when people are really doing the wrong thing? I can only guess that Google gets in touch with authorities so they prevent the drama from happening.

Conclusion:

I guess this is rather a good thing on the part of Google. Of course, there's this Big Brother thing that bothers me a little. I mean... it usually bothers me a lot, but knowing that Google is already Big Brother anyway, this is probably one of the best things they can do with their spying abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Erik Lallemand's blog by Erik Lallemand is licensed under
a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.