Friday, June 21, 2013

What happens when I'm dead

So I was reading the newspaper, and one article mentioned how the medical sector lacks organ donors for grafting and saving the life of people whose organs have failed and who will either die, spend years in hospital, or overall have a terrible life and a shorter life expectancy. One of the major observations of the article was that often, when we die, it is up to our relatives (spouse, children, parents) to confirm to the hospital what our choice was on the possibility of taking the organs from our dead body to save the life of others. And in 90% those cases, the families report that they have never discussed this subject before so they can't tell what the deceased's decision would be.

The deceased is me and the deceased is you. Not today I hope. There's nothing in my life that indicates that I should not live another 50 years. But you never know. If I get run over by a car in 1 week, 1 month, 1 year... it's better that I plan in advance. Then it's clear. But no worry! I'm currently very much alive and intend to continue like this for a long time!

Bodily dispositions:

Should there be any doubt in the interpretation of the following, it should be interpreted in the light of my views that the human body and mind are solely the product of biological machinery. I don't believe in soul. I don't believe in afterlife. I believe consciousness arises purely from brain structure, neurotransmitter interactions, and electrical and chemical activity within the brain. In the event that I die, or that I become brain dead (which is the same as dead, to me), or that my condition is so hopeless (some kind of long-term coma with massive brain damage or something like that, at the discretion of my relatives) that there is no possible way I will ever be back to being a functional person, or that I become unable to communicate my will responsibly due to medical and/or mental condition, here are the choices I make for my body and organs. In order of priority from the best choice to the lesser choice:
 - donate my organs
 - give my body to science
 - cremation and dispersion of ashes in nature

Material belongings:

In similar conditions as described above, I must describe 2 cases. The 1st case is the case that I have a spouse (or long-term partner) and/or children. Such is not the case today, but if it becomes the case someday and I haven't written anything new that supersedes the present article, it's better that I consider the possibility now. So in this case, my possessions should be spread in portions of equal value among spouse and children. 1 person, 1 share.

In case that I don't have a spouse nor children, my possessions should spread in portions of equal value among the surviving next of kin: mother, sister and brother.

Intellectual property:

I can't think of much intellectual property that I own apart from this blog. In any case, I want all my intellectual property to become part of the public domain on the 10th anniversary of my passing away (because the legal provisions of 50 or 70 years are just crazy).

Conclusion:

In a rather short article (which you're allowed to copy and adapt for your needs), I have done my duty towards my family and towards society with regards to what should happen after I die. If YOU haven't, maybe it's time you do. Plus you can simply copy/paste and make minor changes to adapt this to your case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Erik Lallemand's blog by Erik Lallemand is licensed under
a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.