Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fitness




So, I haven't blogged for a while. I still feel held back by the article I'm writing on sexuality. It's really a big one, so I often feel that I'm losing courage when looking at the size of the task.

Anyway, today I'm talking about fitness. On YouTube, I have been watching some videos by Lee Lemon who has a channel about fitness. And since I have some spare time, I decided to get back to sports after 10 years of mostly dodging any kind of physical activity ...though I did a bit of scuba diving and I had the occasional team event like cricket, bowling or whatever.

So I looked for a gym near my place, went there a couple days ago and they proposed me to come for a trial, which was this morning. Aside from getting to know the coach and talking about food, about my objectives (priority: losing fat), etc, here's the list of activities that occupied me for 1 hour and a half:

  • warm-up for 10-15 minutes on an elliptical cardio machine
  • rower: 3 minutes
  • bench press: 20 kg. 4 series of 15 reps (last series: I reduced to 14kg) 
  • dumbbells: 5 kg. 4 series of 15 reps. But I moved up to 6 kg and that became really hard.
  • seated pulls with a lat bar: 4 series of 15 reps
  • squats: 4 series of 15 reps
  • v-bar press down: 4 series of 15 reps
  • plank: 4 series of maintaining for 30 seconds

After I was done with all of this, I observed a few things. First, I was surprised that I did drink almost all the content of my 1.5 liter bottle.

Then regarding muscles, I was surprised at how easy it is to reach your limit. The most shocking exercise was with dumbbells. You have 1 dumbbell of 6 kg in each hand and all you have to do is lift these. The first series went smooth. Then in the second series, after maybe 7 or 8 reps, I couldn't bring my arms to the horizontal. After I just lifted the dumbbells to a 45° angle, it's like I was hitting a wall. Really surprising!

And now, 2 hours after I finished my training session, I can feel that something is going on in my muscles, especially the biceps. And merely lifting my hands from the center of my keyboard to reach for the "delete" key requires an effort.

Hopefully, I'll feel good enough (no pain) to go back to the gym tomorrow or the day after. And I really hope that I can keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Erik Lallemand's blog by Erik Lallemand is licensed under
a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.